Thursday, September 06, 2007

Wordsmith

Corporatespeak -

I hate it. It is the little words that are virtually meaningless that seem to bug the hell out of me. During meetings I used to have to listen to the words ala mode tossed from each seat at the table. The worst I have ever heard was at HTI. Goodness gracious - they even had a tone. Statements were intoned as questions. Try it....It is supposed to sugar coat the statement in a way that felt like fingernails down a chalkboard to me.

Now I listen to the current corporate speak and it has the same effect. "Going forward" is the new beginning of a "from now on" or "in the future"-type sentence. "That is a correct statement" or "it is a correct statement" is what is now used in lieu of "that's right" or "That's true". I think I need to think of counter-statements and I would like your input as well. I was thinking of saying, "Going backward" instead of saying, "In the past...".


Oh, I found out why she hates her mother. Her father used to beat the living hell out of her and her mother would never say anything about it. Of course, she in her adulthood would not understand the probable danger her mother would be in if she HAD said something. Not that it was necessarily the best way to handle it, but we are talking about years ago when things were a lot different. They really didn't have a Children's Inn or places like that. Women who spoke up about things happening in their home were "airing their dirty laundry" or "probably deserved it". Not only that - a family's livelihood depended on the man's income. Instead of understanding this, she judges and damns her mother.

I have a problem with people that don't speak to their parents. People that hold grudges for years and years and feel it is right to punish them. I think that I have the opposite problem. I can't stand it that my dad can only talk on the phone for so long...or comes over for a little bit and gets antsy to leave. I must be a freak! I think I want to get to know my parents.

2 comments:

Lefty said...

At the end of the day, bottom line is: Corporatespeak works. Your glass is just half empty. Bottom line: Get to know corporatespeak. It will one day evolve into newspeak and will help to streamline news from the war with Eurasia and Eastasia.

Horizontal said...

Groupthink is OK if everyone goes along with it.

Don't move forward, just twirl around a few times, smile, throw up and giggle.

Instead of "thinking outside the box," say "let's not leave until we have redecorated the box," or "let's think outside the cage."

As for your pappy, I don't know what his problem is. He was born a moving target.

Love