Saturday, January 17, 2009

A Break...Or will I allow it?

Finally, after a whirlwind semester, followed by graduation, then finals (I know!), and grad school application deadlines, I have a break!

Oh, what to do next?! Such luxurious (boredom?)... I have a list of the things I have wanted to do FOREVER, or so it seems. Read, paint, learn French, clean, journal, draw, go on a photo shoot, spruce up the neighborhood blog, play with photoshop, watch all the movies I have missed, brush the dogs, meet with family, scan old photos, weed out, cook, bake, exercise, organize, sleep, drink wine, learn to crochet etc. The list doesn't end.

I have wanted to do all these things, yet I told myself, "not until you are done with your work." Now have I forgotten how to play? I am in need of some good books that will draw my attention and suck me in. My old favorites aren't pulling me in like they did. I am so easily distracted with guilt after all this time. I think I have forgotten.

I will soon be employed somewhere. Even so, I am not used to working full-time without going to school, too. So, where do I start to relax, enjoy things I used to, learn some new things at my own pace?

Next week the dance card begins to fill up. I have at least 7 appointments. Perhaps more as more calls are returned. I would like to put some time into a hobby or some leisure activity. How do I start?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It'll happen naturally, just stop putting pressure on yourself to make yourself feel guilty. :) Have Fun!

Lefty said...

Beats me. Let me know if you find out.

You could always write a feature for Greetings From Sioux Falls.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a list for you, but if you want, I can come up with one.
I guess I have no demands for you. I am glad you've been at the blog because I get to meet you again there.

POOKA

The Sioux Falls Phoenix said...

Mark - stop feeling guilty? I swear I could have come from a jewish family! Life does not exist without guilt. However there are various degrees of guilt. I will try to take the path less guilted. Thank you! :)

Eric - What kind of feature would you like written?

Dad or Eric or Sharon Elsing- a list of books would be great. Interesting ones that are light to start with. I tried Gore Vidal's United States and couldn't quite get into it, despite my love of his writing.

Lefty said...

Pick a building, a point of interest, a Sioux Falls person. I don't care. See what I've got up and see what you'd like to add. It doesn't have to be huge, but I like pictures.