Wednesday, September 09, 2009

My commute

I keep getting asked by people how the commute is from Two Harbors to UMD. It is horrid. Right after Two Harbors city limits I run into expressway. An expressway that is lined with trees on either side. There is no construction. On my left is Lake Superior, visible from the expressway beyond the forest. After this hideous view, the expressway ends and I am forced to drive on London Road. London Road is notorious for its rough characters of old. Robber Barron's, they were called. The financial gangsters of yesteryear. Such historic mansions exemplify the gains of those who took the chance to gamble on such new fangled things as railroads and coal and iron ore. Another I believe gambled on chickens. I believe it is Tyson. The gang symbols used on the great fence surrounding that gang turf are chickens. Mansion after mansion I pass until I hit 21st street. This is a lower class neighborhood that is home to smaller but also exquisite manses. Only through this route do I run into road construction. On Woodlawn avenue, I am forced to stop at stop signs, allowing me to have further inspection of the architecture of each abode.

So, while the rest of you are complaining about your commutes, think of poor me up here suffering up here with such hideous surroundings.

2 comments:

Lefty said...

Waiting for the pictures.

Horizontal said...

I'd like a follow up after the snow flies.