Monday, April 23, 2007

The Uphill Battles of Depression

I will gladly take Tom Cruise up on this battle.

In this world some rain must fall. For some it falls in the form of Diabetes, others MS, others have high blood pressure or heart disease, but for many it is Depression. Perhaps we all experience this once or twice in our lifetime, episodically. Some people are crippled with it. The media and our society as a whole have place the big blinking "FREAK" sign on the disease. Would we call a diabetic a freak? Would we call someone with high blood pressure a freak? heart disease? Maybe some would. There are definitely those that have been blessed with perfect health, but most people have something that could be improved - even if it is just their eyesight.

I don't know if this VT thing has been a blessing or a curse for those with depression. There definitely needs to be more knowledge and understanding with this disease. Depression presents in many ways: It is that listlessness that just won't go away. It is those negative thoughts that are in the back of the mind. It is the slow boiling anger. It is the fiery angry bursts that hurt the ones we love and intensifies itself. It is the tired that makes us sleep or want to sleep all day. It is that inability to accomplish those things we want to accomplish. It is us separating ourselves from others. It is not caring how we look, smell or act. It is a heavy lump of hopelessness and despair.

So often depression is a hindrance to its own cure. Exercise is a good remedy, but when getting out of bed in the morning takes all your energy, exercise is hardly on the agenda. Reaching out to someone, anyone is often a good cure, but who wants to do that. You just don't want to burden others with it, or be labelled a "FREAK".

The brain works in mysterious ways. We know now with Pmris and other diagnostics that the way the brain fires is different in those with depression as well as other disorders. This is physical proof that although it is in your head, it's not. The old way of thinking is: "Pull yourself up by your bootstraps", "Buck up!", "Knock it off!", "Just think happy thoughts". Okay, tell this to diabetics. Tell this to those with heart disease. There is a mind-body connection to physical ailments. Just because an illness is "mental" does not mean it is made up or controllable with thoughts. It is also physical. Many people have been able to overcome physical ailments using their minds. But do we want to take that risk? Virginia Tech. Do we really want to take that risk? Murder-suicides. Is it worth labeling these people as freaks? Columbine. Do you want to lose the people you love? suicide.

There are several treatments out there for depression. To deny people these treatments by stigmatizing and labeling and making them feel weak is inhumane. (Tom Cruise) Rather we should be embracing them and their uniqueness and supporting their treatment. It helps. For many it is the difference between doing something rash and being in control. Help them. Reach out with words. If you don't know them well enough, talk to them. Any contact is better than ignoring them - you don't just need to direct them to help. There are so many things that these people would be able to do if only they would get help. Don't stop them. Stop the ignorance and the labeling. Become part of the solution.

This weekend one of my sons told me that he is having suicidal thoughts. He is reaching out. I hugged him and cried with him. He was so brave telling me this and asking to seek counseling. I know how hard this can be. I will do whatever I have to to save his life. I am calling for counseling this morning. I am educating him as much as possible and being open about it here. He said he wants to quit his job. I completely support this. Just the day before he said this, I watched him walk into work, slouched shoulders, and knew he had to get out. I love you, man! I am there for you!! Thanks for being brave!

4 comments:

Lefty said...

What really helped me out with depression was my art work. I would draw a picture of my tortured psyche and I'd feel better. Especially when I showed it to classmates (hey, they asked!) and they would wrinkle their noses at it. It made me feel vastly superior to them that I could understand that level of emotion they'd never been introduced to. Yeah, I'm not going to my 20-year reunion. Later I mostly destroyed that which I loathed in my own comic. My boss pissed me off, I crushed his head in my hand. My "art" teacher marveled at why I had to put some sort of meaning into my art and I cut his head in two. My history teacher bothered me and I had his head on a post. Man I should get back into that. I guess that's the outlet I used. I prefer it to the outlet Cho used. I called my art teacher a Nazi at some point. I didn't like him. I think he was assigned the class when he wasn't coaching basketball or something.

Let me know if there's something I can do to help.
!LOVE!
E

Bee said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. Unfortunately, I think I know how he might feel. BTDT. Life sucks, then the sun comes up, day after day after day.
I wish you and him the best of luck and I know you're gonna do the right thing by him.

The Sioux Falls Phoenix said...

Thanks for your love and support. We can all use it right now!

:)

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you and Lefty for finding ways to deal with what I believe is a familiy curse. Sorry, guys, I didn't intend to pass it along to those I love.
One of the best things is to get into control. Sometimes that control is to get out of the situation. Sometimes it is in just finding something you can control, no matter how small, and exerting that control.
Like, Lefty, I am here. I can be there.
POOKA