Thursday, August 09, 2007

Two steps forward?

Okay, today was better than yesterday. When I went to the hospital, Mavis was sitting up and eating! That was wonderful after leaving last night when her pain levels in her chest were increasing before we left. I was seriously wondering if she would make it through the night. I went to work today knowing that I would have to take tomorrow off. Tomorrow will be triple bi-pass surgery.



She will be in surgery for around 5 hours. We need to be there at least by 10 a.m. if we wish to speak with her before surgery. From there, I guess they will try to take her off the respirator around 5 pm. She will be sleepy most of the rest of the day, so we will probably just go up and see her back in her room and let her know that we are still there. They will send folks out throughout the operation to let us know how it is going. Several times yesterday she said that she was ready to die. Today she did not say that once. She did, however, say that she wanted salt for her food. She is probably the only patient in the heart hospital that is sodium deficient. She will have to get orders from a doctor for that because nothing there is cooked with or comes with salt. I think that I will try to speak with someone regarding diet, so we know what we can do to help. Perhaps that loaf of banana bread and the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies weren't so good for her...

Both of them agreed that she should convalesce in a nursing home for at least the first week after she is out of the hospital. I would hate that myself, and felt like volunteering, but realize my limitations.

I guess the positives today were that she was sitting up and laughing and feeling better. The neutrals, are the surgery. Both dangerous and promising...

On another note, I got a call regarding the blood work from the Oncologist's office. Apparently she isn't ready to refer me yet. My white count was up from 13,100(?) 9 days ago to 15,300. I will have been off antibiotics for two weeks on Saturday. My temperature was 98.4, but I just got done chomping an entire glass of ice. (I should quit that before appointments.) When I got home, it was 99.3. Today it was 99.4. I don't know whether or not she and the pathologist completed the blood pathology or not. They were going to look at my blood under a scope and see if I had any small aliens in there. Anyway, for now I am to get my blood checked once a month for 3 months and go back to see her in November. (3 months from now - hard to believe! It's almost Christmas time already!)




Nick came over last night and talked my ear off again. It seems that he and his dad are fighting now...Huh? you're kidding! I guess perhaps it wasn't mom after all... Then he called me at work today and wouldn't let me get off the phone. Jeepers Criminy! It seems that thangs are a changin'.


P.S. Did you notice I didn't say sh** in this blog at all today??? :)

3 comments:

Bee said...

I'll be thinking of Mavis and all the rest of you tomorrow. Please tell Mavis that my grandmother was 86 when she had her quadruple bypass. That was five years ago. Six weeks after the surgery she painted the outside steps and eight weeks later planted her annuals by herself. She is doing great now, aside from her arthritic hip. She still gets out and tends to her garden and flowers though.

Horizontal said...

It takes a while for your kids to realize who you are. Nick seems to be getting the message early. Guys always communicate indirectly and I'm guessing he's saying, "Hey, Mom, you have been right all along and I have been an ass. I love you."
That's my guess anyhow. By the way, regarding previous blog, I don't agree that life is that kind of sandwich. Sometimes it is like a peanut butter and jelly you dropped in the sand at the beach. Sand or pbj? Your choice.
POOKA

Bee said...

I like Pooka's take on things, and have to agree. I also think you and Nick are a lot alike, more than you might think. . .