Sunday, December 17, 2006

Curiosity Killed the Cat Again

As I turned onto Minnesota Ave., headed south this afternoon, this huge billowing cloud of smoke caught my attention. I nabbed Ben from work and we headed south. About 1 mile North of Harrisburg, there was a fire consuming a field and moving towards a grove of trees. We had arrived before the sheriff's department, but scurried past as not to obstruct traffic or emergency vehicles still arriving on the scene. As of 5:30, it had consumeed 10 acres. Surely the windy conditions did not help matters any. It was moving quickly with flames leaping several feet into the air at times. The photos that I got closer to the flames were not as dramatic as the view from Minnesota Ave.

It has been one hell of a weekend, week, month, etc. I am glad that school was over, but realize that it really kept me away from the drama that other people so much take for granted. I really am trying not to make any waves, but work, school, home, etc. I am offending all with any attempts that I have made to go out of my way to do otherwise. Perhaps I have reached
that lovely time of my life when I say "to hell with it" and go away for the holidays. I have this mental picture of me as an ostrich with my head in the ground and a sign hanging off my tail saying, "back off!" I have always objected to people being forced to work on the holidays when they don't want to, but have to for their job. I am a family-loving person that believes that folks should be "home for the holidays". I am, however beginning to see the benefits of travel at this time of the year. I hated it when I was in Arizona over the holidays. To wake up in the morning and remember that it was Christmas was difficult. Deck the cacti! I'm too friggin' sentimental and having grown up with white Christmases really doesn't help when I have a brown sandy one instead.

The tree is up, but the decorations are not. The caramel corn is made, but the other recipes are neglected. Perhaps next weekend. Or not.

No comments: