Friday, July 20, 2007

I'm back

Here I am, back from the world of semi-private gowns and .9% sodium solutions hanging in bags from metal poles! I think the fever got to me as I was thinking of .38 Special changing their song to "Caught up in Tubes" as I was trying to maneuver things as simple as using the bathroom. More than once I ended up pulling the IV half way out of the vein, only to have the damn machine beep about an occlusion.
I gave so many vials of blood I lost count (Drucula?). I had my 5 a.m. draw and my 6 p.m. draw. I know they were giving it to that phlebotomist, Actually once, they accidentally took 3 extra vials - they reassured me that I wouldn't be charged for it, so I don't think they got my point... Would you believe I'm more anemic? Go figure! The longer I sat up there the more I thought about the movie "Coma". I actually thought up some science fiction story ideas while I was up there, only to forget them now. I think that is a good sign.

My admitting doctor began looking more and more sinister each day. The pinch at the top of his nose grew longer and longer. Since my fluid intake/output was normal, there really was no reason for me to be hooked up to an IV. The nurses didn't understand it and neither did I. It was just a pain in the ass to deal with.

I must say the best part of the whole visit was the food. Each morning I had a belgian waffle. 1/2 with syrup and butter, 1/2 with strawberries in sauce. I also had the fruit plate whenever I could. There is nothing like fresh fruit, cut by someone else... The bruschetta chicken, despite rave reviews was one of the worst things I had - the noodles were far from al dente and the flavor was dilute. The taco salad wasn't bad. In my usual fashion, I would eat the lettuce first, then mix the rest to use for the dip for the chips. I had the vegetables and dip and ordered more chocolate milk than I ever got. I had a Freschetta pizza one night that was excellent. Along with a salad that consisted of a few long pieces of lettuce laying somewhat elegantly next to a few shreds of red cabbage and carrot. The iced tea was great! Fresh brewed... The coffee wasn't all that bad either, considering.

I hated being stuck inside with the first weather for the last month happening outside. It made me sad. Especially since I was going to walk down to watch the clouds and my IV beeped that the battery was low and had to be plugged in. :( The wireless service was nice, but bucked most of my applications that used it. I had to get creative to send and receive e-mail. It was too complicated for my frustrated self to keep doing every time I read or sent mail. (Sorry to those who wrote me and I didn't respond.)

Thank you to everyone for all the thoughts and prayers and the flowers and well-wishing. I wish I could tell you that they found it and fixed it, but I can't do that. All I can say is that they found a piece of metal in my head that has nothing to do with anything except that it is hilarious in some way since I have absolutely no idea where it came from. My head is now the butt of many jokes, including my own, as I picture my children purchasing large magnets so they can mess with my head. What if it rusts? What if I get tetanus? What if it is a chip? What if someone is controlling my thoughts? What if they just made me type that? and that? and that?....(mirror in a mirror)

:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ande, i hope they find out what your damage is, and where exactly is the metal thing in your head? i love you! i hope you get better! we love you!

Anonymous said...

I didn't do it!
POOKA

Bee said...

So I go on vacation for a while and when I come back, you've got a PIECE OF METAL IN YOUR HEAD? Geez! WTF!!

Well, Ande, I'd ask how're ya doin' but. . .

Man, I'm so sorry about your time in the hospital - I loathe even a second spent in a hospital room, I think prison would be better - and please let us know if they find out anything at all. Sigh. Hang in there, kid. I'll be callin' ya a s soon as I can.