Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Neighborhood Rejuvenation Meeting

Today was the second meeting that I went to for the Neighborhood Conservation Area. I sat next to the right person, too!! There is supposed to be a big announcement soon, possibly before the next meeting that impacts the project greatly. I don't know too much about it.

Things discussed were Arch. Inc.'s concept drawings of possible buildings to go in on 11th street. These would be similar in architecture to what we have in the neighborhood. They looked great! Tax and financial incentives were discussed, then the lady next to me, M., spoke of community gardens. I mentioned the parkways and how the city forestry guy wanted to know the addresses of the folks that were planting flowers on their parkways so he could cite them for it and probably have them all dug up. M. asked who it was and I told her I didn't quite know a right way to describe him but sniveling. She said she knew exactly who he was.

We discussed naming the area and agreed that it is the people in the neighborhood that should come up with the name and that our group could select from there. Names suggested were midtown, west town, old town.

I suggested that the plan incorporate the area from Minnesota to Grange and 10th to 18th. Everyone liked that idea.

This meeting was so much better than the last one. It was more promising. I went away from the last one with a sinking heart that this may fail. Someone else suggested that it goes to West. That would be good, too!

I brought up the specified crime property - I think that we should bring that up to the City Council. That is where the landlord gets fined if crime is a continuous problem at their property.

I got M.'s wheels turning on some ideas.

Well, that's all for now. I have to hit the books then run to class.

1 comment:

Lefty said...

It's good to hear about positive feelings coming from these meetings. At least the city isn't ready to put up fences around the area and give up on it.