Monday, January 01, 2007

Out with the old...

This year, we did see a few accomplishments. We finally lost our power-braking neighbors! The 43 year old responsible for harrassing the neighborhood beyond belief is in jail and was prior to our testimonies in court. He came dressed in a nice black and white striped ensemble with shining silver bracelets. His daughter, there to support him and make snide remarks and sneers at us, was also later arrested for possession of a controlled substance, etc. Biganasty, and we call this S.O.B. was also the man who ran into a grade school earlier in the year and fled. His windshield remained unfixed and still donned the spiderwebbed outlines of his head and his son's. Something poetic and ironic in that.

On one of the hottest days of the year, we went to the air show. I really got tired of people writing into the Argus raving about it. Yes, it was nice, but several shaded canopies intended for the community elite were left empty, while several elderly people suffered from the heat. I got this somewhat crude photo of an inflatable soldier with his gun in position. What the still picture doesn't show is the wind blowing to make the marine appear to be thrusting... I was tempted to write into the Argus and ask about that one!


The year was dismal for stormy weather in Sioux Falls. Several storms surrounded the city but left us sometimes dry and extremely bored. I appreciate a good strong thunderstorm to recharge my negative ions!!! The only pictures I was able to take were taken from some distance after I chased them to the edge of town. Yawn...


One of the saddest events of the year was the loss of our old maple on the North side of the house. We all cried. We lost so much shade and the squirrels were lost without it. We were told before the amputation that the tree was hollow all the way through and we would have to lose it this way or by it falling. It turned out that yes, one of the limbs was hollow, but the tree for the most part was healthy. Eric was able to take a huge log and is considering doing something with the wood. A man came up to the house asking if he could take some. When we told him yes, he said that he would turn us a bowl. I thought that would be a very nice momento for us, but the bowl is yet to be seen.

I also lost my shade garden. I was so busy with school, that I haven't had time to move my rhododendrons yet. I hope they will be forgiving enough to wait until spring. I have $1000s in plants there and will have to redo for a sunny garden next year. I think of the fun, but also think of the work and the expense. So...I am taking any donations of sunny perennials from those doing any thinning this year....



This year we also saw the increase in gang activity and drug deals in the neighborhood. I finally sparked some fires under the neighbors and held a meeting. I invited the mayor, the narcotics division, gang relations, and several city officials. We got some lighting issues resolved, some neighbors pumped about improvement and were able to jump on the bandwagon of the 10-12th street neighborhood project enacted by the mayor. We have lost a couple of uncaring landlords, have seen increased patrol and media attention to help spread the word. I am so grateful that we are united and are no longer ignored. We are committed to cleaning this up. My kids are afraid that I am going to be shot. What would the price be of fearing the gangs and hiding inside with the blinds closed? I don't think they would really dare to do that to me because at this point the reaction by the police, media and my wonderful neighbors would be fierce.

1 comment:

Lefty said...

you should know that if anything is to be done with the wood from your poor tree, it must first be dried out. You may yet see a bowl from this stranger.